Hiking with rescue horses and donkeys
We are so glad you would like to go hiking with our rescue horses and donkeys!
We have different routes so everyone is able to join. Young, old, active people or people with poor mobility etc. are all welcome! You also don’t need any experience with horses or donkeys. Really everyone can come along! The routes we have are:
- Just swimming with horses. This is ideal for people with poor mobility.
- A 30 minute hike in between a nice long swim with the horses/ donkeys. This is ideal for children!
- A 50 -70 minute hike along through the beautiful nature along the mangrove, in between a nice long swim with horses / donkeys.
Please notice! We do hikings next to the horses and donkeys. This is a unique experience, at which the wellbeing of our horses and donkeys is our main prioritiy, without burdening them. They really enjoy the hikings and love to take a dive in the ocean!
We are available, by appointment, on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday most of the time, at 9AM (09.00) or 5.15PM (17.15).
On weekends may be possible, but then we charge an allowance of 15EUROS of 30ANG on top of the total price.
Start of the hike
Pippi’s opvang takes in traumatised horses, dogs, donkeys, cats, chicken, pigs and turtles. Most animals experience a great deal of stress when unfamiliair people enter our rescue centre. For these animals, home is a relaxed, safe and quiet place. Animals who are sufficiently socialized, go with us on a nice hike.
To keep the quiet at our rescue centre, we don’t start the hikes at this location, but elsewhere. There are two options:
- Option 1: We meet next to the entrance of the Ostrich Farm. We’ll see you at the front of the street near the guard house on the unpaved road.
- Option 2: With little children or people with poor mobility, you can drive up to the ocean; From the Ostrich Farm you ride along the unpaved road and then you can park your car.
This is also ideal if you choose to just go swimming with our horses/ donkeys. Here you can get out your car and immediately take a dive in the fresh water with our animals.
We can’t stand still with our animals so we start to hike immediately. Therefor it is very important to be on time and ready to go.
- Being on time at the agreed meeting spot. When you’re on your way, keep in mind there can be traffic. So leave on time from your hotel/ resort/ home! Park your car ahead of the meeting time so we can leave to go hike right away. Don’t leave valuable, personal stuff (bags, sunglasses etc.) in your car.
- Shoes and clothing will get wet and dirty at the hike, because they will stay on during swimming! So don’t put on you newest clothes but make sure you have enough covered to protect you from the sun. Think of a t-shirt, sunglasses and a hat is usefull as well.
- Due to safety, you are obligated to wear sturdy shoes.
- Things that are unsuitable for the hike: bikinis, dresses, sandals, flip flops and water shoes. Leave these at home or in your car.
- Due to the heat, we recommend to bring a bottle of water in a handy bag, so your hands are free during the hike.
- Put on a good amount of sunblock before the hike. Make sure this is all done before we start the hike! If you arrive 10 minutes ahead of the meeting time you will have enough time to do this and we won’t have to wait with the animals.
For a small compensation of 2,50ANG a pair, we rent rubber boots (European size 29 – 45).
Please state your shoe size with your reservation so we can bring them with us. We also suggest you wear high socks, since the top edges of the boots can rub against the skin.
- For tourists: The hike costs 50EUROS per person. The payment has to be done at least 2 days before the hike, to the foundations bank account(s).
- The date of reservation is final as soon as we get a screenshot with confirmation of payment transfer.
- For residents of Curacao: When you’re resident of Curacao, you get a discount. You pay 50ANG instead of 50EUROS, if you send a copy of your Sedula with your reservation as proof before you pay.
- You can also pay with a gift card.
All earnings are a donation for the animals. From these donations we buy food and bills from the vet.
You can find our bank details here to transfer the money.
Do you want a small taste of the experience? Watch the following video!
Got excited? Sign up via the following forms for one of our hikes!
Please notice! If you booked a hike via the form and payed in advance, the reservation is final.
You can cancel your reservation up until 48 hours before your booked hike. Only then, you get a voucher to come back another time. This voucher is valid for 12 months.
Just: “walking along, taking photos or watching” means participating in the hike and also paying.
Following by car of drone is not allowed.
Wil je deze pagina in het Nederlands? Klik hier!